Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What your car says about you

Someone once asked me what would I buy if I had all the money in the world. The funny thing I remember was that cars weren't the first thing to hit my mind. It was 4th. First was traveling, 2nd a house, 3rd my own business, 4th a better car. 4th? It doesn't sound right but thats what happened.

My friend Ah Loon did the unthinkable. He just took delivery of a brand new BMW 318 and tied himself nicely to a long repayment plan, I think 7 or 9 years.

But he can afford it 'cause unlike me, he's employed. Umm let me rephrase that. I am employed, sort of, if working for the family business counts as employment but certainly my parents would be mortified if I bought a car like Ah Loon's.

Hell yeah I'm envious. It is after all a chick magnet. We went for a spin yesterday afternoon. Even did a minor drift and boy oh boy was I impressed with the handling. The pride of my life, my 2-year old Nissan, seemed so woefully inadequate in comparison.

So over drinks at the Coffee Bean, he asked me what's my image of him now? I dunno I said, flamboyant, risk taker, fun-loving, aggressive maybe. And my ride? He thinks it shows that I am practical, down to earth, stable (he didn't dare say boring as he knows I'd kick him in the butt). Well I could upgrade to a new Fair Lady or Skyline but fat chance. I can't even afford a decent digital camera.

So being the underdog here, I will ask the famous question - why does it matter what one drives if all it does is bring you from point A to B. Right? Wrong. Ever heard of the phrase you are what you eat? Well, apparently you are also what you drive. That is, according to people who will decide whether to be nice to you depending on how you look, which is pretty much everyone outside the monkhood order.

There is one consolation for me though. Its the thought that long after I've graduated to a flying car, my friend Ah Loon will still be paying the monthly installments for his beemer. 9 long years man, holy cow that's paying till the year 2016! Suddenly the thought of owning a Nissan Sentra didn't sound so bad after all.

Sigh, the price to pay for instant recognition.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it better to be known as practical than flamboyant? To be known as what you drive is pretty sad I think, isn't this just materialism? It's better to be known for your character than a car that in 20 years time may sit in the besi buruk scrap yard.

Bryan said...

Flamboyance is a chick magnet & practicalness is a chick repellant. If you are in your 20's that is.