Friday, March 23, 2007

What would you do if you bumped into your ex?

a. Walk right past him/her and pretend he/she doesn't exist
b. Treat him/her like your long lost friend, exchange phone numbers and invite him/her out for drinks to catch up
c. Treat him/her like an acquaintance and make excuses to cut the contact short
d. Give him/her a furious "I hate you" look and walk right on
e. Freeze in your tracks not knowing what to do

I've not seen my ex for years and the other day, I spotted her as she was driving in the opposite direction but she didn't see me waving. Its hard to see across the metal railing and shrubs separating our lanes and by the time traffic sorted itself out, she had disappeared. Hmm I thot she decided to stay on in Australia.

The sighting brought back many nice memories. That's when I started imagining what would I do if we bumped into each other at the mall or club. It will probably be (b) or (c). Honestly I don't know what she thinks of me now so what I'd do will depend on how she reacts I guess.

I think how one's relationship ends determine these things. For me, it was because she went to Australia for college while I went to the USA. We had no idea how long we'd be gone and after 6 months apart we sort of knew it was unrealistic to continue. We agreed it would be less painful if we changed our expectations. Then life took over and a year later we lost touch. It could have been worse I suppose.

It always fascinates me how breakups on TV are light hearted occasions where the parties would hug, tell a joke, pat each other on the back and make the obligatory lets-be-friends speech. Happens in Friends and Cheers all the time. Then why is it that the breakups I get to hear about are traumatic where most of the time one party storms out and slams the door permanently. Where are those happy-go-lucky feelings?

You do realize I discount people who date "for fun" whatever that means. I don't even know how to categorize that kind of a relationship.

Being Asians I know we are not very capable of saying things like "I love you, I'm just not in love with you" or some weird shit like that, which is why I think the majority of Asians would choose (a), (d) or (e). The ones who really hate you will find out where you parked your car and puncture your tire.

As for my ex gf, if she had settled down with someone, I'd be genuinely eager to meet her significant other as happily as I would introduce her to my gf Shirley. It might be a bit awkward at first but she was a damn good friend and something in me says she's still capable of being one.

So what about you, what would you do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would choose b. Life is a long process, and we may never know when our paths will cross again. burn no bridges.be polite for we never know wat the future may bring. however i am sad to say i got a furious glance from an ex who stormed off in front of a big crowd of my frens. but it is impossible for guys and gals to be buddies or chums.in my opinion it jus doesnt work.

Bryan said...

Yup I agree with you, don't burn bridges but you can't stop them if they are the one who want to burn it.