Sunday, March 11, 2007

Do opposites REALLY attract?

As a boy I would drive my mum crazy with my questions. One of them was why my uncles and aunties never shopped together. If its my uncle, he would walk with other male members of the family and if its my auntie, she'd go with her daughters or female cousins.

Oklah, silly question. Relationships are like fish. The older it gets, the smellier it becomes. But is there some psychogical or biological factor we can blame, something that makes men curse women's 'indecisiveness' and women men's 'aloofness.' I'm beginning to think so.

Take me for example. When I shop, I always have a precise list of what I want, let's say some AAA-size batteries. I would go into the store, head for the target aisle, scan the prices, pick up the brand I like and head straight to the cashier. I'd be outta there in 5 minutes or less. Ok, maybe it'll take a little longer if I'm choosing a CD player but the point is I always know what I want.

But when Shirley (my gf) shops, its a different thing altogether. If she needs a pair of shoes, it doesn't mean she knows exactly what type of shoe she wants. Its a case of knowing what you want but not knowing what you want, you know, like saying it without saying it.

So what to buy is usually not decided until halfway thru the shopping itself. And who can make a fair decision until they've visited every one of the 11 shoe stores at the mall plus the 2 in the dept store.

Not only that. Objectives move too. She might have shoes on her mind but she may come back with shoes, blouse, belt, CD, make-up pack and other shit.

To avoid myself from going insane, my tactic is to let her wander off on her own and call me when she's done as I busy myself browsing boy toys elsewhere in the building. It turns out many men also do the same. Great minds think alike, hahahaha.

My whole point is this. If you are male, your world is a collection of discrete objects, each one clearly defined, never mind if some things are impossible to define. Men aren't bothered with detail. Life is always rational and there is a clear start and finish in everything you do, a clear purpose every time.

But for females, nothing is discrete. Enter alien factors like color, relationship, fluidity, detail and other mah fan (troublesome) things. The female world is much more complex and fine, with more variables considered behind every decision or action. Where a man sees one choice, a woman may see 3 or 4.

So if men and women are so different, sometimes to the point of conflict, then how in the world do they stay together? This was another question that drove my mum nuts.

My own answer is they don't. Well actually they do but to keep their sanity, they get away from each other as much as they can. The women takes cover with their mahjong/shopping kakis and the men their snooker joints.

So to stay together, they get away from each other. Hope you get it cause I still don't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very perceptive of you. i mean what u say abt shopping n opposites n attraction :)