Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Heroes: My least favorite characters

There are two characters in the tv series Heroes that I'd rather not watch.

First is Niki Sanders the single mother.


I find it mentally draining just watching her struggle with her alter ego Jessica episode after episode. They keep coming back to the same old scenes in the garage, playing the same awful background music and reading the same old script. Ever since Jessica's first appearance, there's been nothing new to learn about the two of them. I mean come on, get over it already. I'm not going to spend the rest of the season watching her fight the same old battle with herself when she should be out there fighting the bad guys. I think they're trying very hard to kill an otherwise interesting character with repetitive over-dramatization.

My second least favorite character is Isaac Mendez the painter.


Like Niki, the producers are trying hard to kill him with the broken record syndrome. They keep repeating the same conflict scenes between he and his girlfriend (and anyone else who comes near him, now that Petrelli and others are coming into his studio), the same reminders about why he needs drugs to paint and the same whiny excuses about why he doesn't know why he draws what he draws. Look, we get it already. You've told this story in every episode and I'm gonna scream if you tell it one more time.

Its a shame that the power of subtlety is all but lost in Heroes' screenwriters.

Now for some strange reason this broken-record syndrome is is hovering around just a couple of characters and I've started to flip channels whenever its their turn on the screen. I hope I don't lose interest the way they lost me in the series LOST - a show whose tale is constructed almost entirely on flashbacks, which is like trying to guess what you ate by looking at a turd.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dun like niki too.. nothing so hero about her

hcfoo said...

I agree.

Actually I don't like Claire too especially when she's in her cheerleader dress. She looks old in the dress.

Kamigoroshi said...

I wanted to comment, then I realized you guys haven't watched as far as some of us have.

Niki gets better later on cause we're still trying to figure out what her real powers are. Issac plays an important role later on but I'm starting to dislike him because of what he does.

Stay with it. It all goes wild after episode 10 and in episodes 16 onwards, that's when we get to see them use their powers.

Keep a look out for future Hiro with a Katana. That shit's cool.

Kamigoroshi said...

Oh and Sylar vs Peter. You got to know that's a great episode since both of them absorb powers.

Bryan said...

Cely & hcfoo, I find Niki cute and at least she whacked the guy who was trying to disturb her.

kamigoroshi, thanks for the heads up. Whew another 5 weeks before things get interesting eh.

Brother Wai said...

errr... juz to spoil some of the Heroes fan-cee here but i had already watched till Episode 18 liow...

so, however so kan cheong want to know what happen next, email me lah... :p