Saturday, June 9, 2007

Should you acknowledge smses

I have a habit of acknowledging every sms I get by sending back an answer even if its a simple "Ok" or "Yes". My friends, well most of them do the same. None of us like to talk to a brick wall.

I know someone who doesn't. His reasons are always, "I was driving". "I'm too busy". "I forgot". "Hah? Must reply meh?".

So a few times after sending this friend of mine smses like "Meet you at 7pm in Hartamas?" went unanswered, I would assume he's got problems and can't make it. Only to find that the idiot actually did show up. And his remark? "Yah I got your sms but I didn't know must reply. I thought confirm oredi."

So there are people who would spend money and time to drive to the place and park rather than send one cheap lousy sms to confirm. I didn't show up of course and he was pissed about it. I told him serve you right. And despite that my friend was still adamant about why reply smses. "Since you oredi said it yesterday, means confirm lah. Why must sms again?" he would say.

I suppose there are people who believe that plans once set can never be changed or that people have perfect memories and never forget an appointment. Then again there are cheapskates who don't like to incur the cost of sending an sms.

What do you think? Is it reasonable to expect your smses to be acknowledged? Do you send acknowledgements?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

unless the message is a question, i never reply all the usual "k", "ok", "kk" and whatnots.

it's annoyingly a wastage of money and takes up space in the inbox. =P

even if the message received is a question, i tend to reply something like, "ok, i'll see u then! muaaaaaaahhhhh!"

seems to milk my credit's worth. but that's just me hehe...

Bryan said...

Chloe that makes two of us :-)

Anonymous said...

hey Bryan...

i totally agree with you. why can't these ppl acknowledge the smses sent to them? it's damn frustrating... sometimes u don't even know if you msgs got through to them!

my friends like to call this "sms ethics". if it's a "yes" or "ok", we'll give one another a missed call... just so for a "yes" or simply to let the other party know that we've received his/her sms. This way, we save our $$$ and yet maintain courtesy. Killing 2 burung with 1 batu :)

narrowband said...

Sometimes when something has been agreed upon (read: confirmed) on a previous day, or during a previous meeting, I wouldn't send another SMS unless to tell I'll be late or won't be able to come.

When I expect a reply, I call. And I don't usually acknowledge SMSes as well if it is not a question. If it's a question (asking for confirmation, etc - like your case), definitely I'll respond. So it's ur friend's own mistake. But then again, since he said you've already talked about it previously... hmm....

When I acknowledge an SMS for the sake of acknowledging, I usually go one-character "K". To some people, this single character alone can be quite significant.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Yes, true, true, when an SMS came with a question (or sound like a question) then by right, it should be replied with an "OK" or NO" or whatever lah.

But if the same person keep sending SMS with questions like "how to.." "why like that?" "do you think I should.." non-stop, I would just leave him/her with his/her SMS until he/she stop. :D

Bryan said...

Cyanide: Is courtesy still in style nowadays?

Narrowband: Yup I always make sure there's a question mark whenever I sms a question. The problem is not everyone recognizes a question mark.

Cindy: Yeah, I think its easy to spot a social question (for fun) and a genuine question. I respond to social questions only when I'm not busy.

Anonymous said...

Some people may think you know what they are thinking when they don't. A very simple reply means a lot.

Imagine if you do that face to face. A friend ask you is it confirmed? And you just go blank...

Bryan said...

Kay, I have a friend who does that. We call him blur sotong.