Thursday, June 21, 2007

Is high IQ necessary for success?

Not in my books. There are far too many MBAs and PhDs from Ivy league unis out there who flunk badly in the real world. I mean failed businesses, trashed friendships, divorces and shit like that.

What I do know is that high IQ people tend to be unhappier than not-so-smart people. Whenever there's a problem, a not-so-smart guy sees one solution but a smart one will see five or six. The smart mind likes to spend all its energy pondering all the possible permutations and scenarios long after the not-so-smart guy has taken off and finished the challenge.

I've seen companies that are led by very "bright" CEOs who probably qualify to be Mensa members but cannot increase corporate earnings to save their lives. They suffer from too many meetings, analysis paralysis and basically a fear of making the wrong choice in a sea of too much data. (Haha, reminds me of my pal who's working in the CRM line).

So what is necessary for business success? Well, get a clue and look at our Asian millionaires. Ask yourselves how many of them might even understand the meaning of regression analysis and complex marketing theory.

My answer is simple. Two things - experience and foresight. Nothing beats having "eaten salt" and having a solid gut instinct. After all, the backbone of all business - risk - is an emotional number.

What about IQ? I think its somewhere around number 5, after capital and location.

I'm not saying that a good brain is useless. Far from it. Intelligence is just a tool and you can use it to solve problems that require the tool, for example a design problem. But try to use it to cool down an angry customer/lover and you might get beaten on the head with a handbag.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is like between knowing one route to a destination compared to knowing multiple ways of access to the same destination.

Knowing more access gives you more headache to choose, to ponder, and in the end, still stuck in the jam.

Bryan said...

Hi Jenny, welcome to my blog. Yeah, knowing better routes can get you to your destination earlier but you may not necessarily be happy in the end after arguing with your gf or bf about which route to choose :)

Anonymous said...

Many smart people are getting paycheck from Lim Goh Tong who happened to be a high school drop out....

Bryan said...

Hi Kay :)

I dun mind if I'm not too smart but I'd want my staff, esp my accountant, to be sharp. Numbers man, dun pray pray, hahaha...