Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Nerds are conquering Formula One

The current formula one season is a non-starter for me. I've been a fan of Mclaren the underdog for years and things have turned around for them. They're now the dominant force.

So why do I say its a non-starter? It has something to do with the word underdog.

I've always been a supporter of strong underdogs. Teams that have the machinery, guts, talent and attitude but are somehow beaten to the finish line by one thing - sheer bad luck. I say bad luck because with the phenomenal research and testing they've done and talents like Kimi on board, how else would you characterize Mclaren's constant failure of past seasons?

Guess I'm not immune to the showbiz factor of formula one. I love the good guy/bad guy feeling. Every movie producer knows how that drives ratings, especially the good folks at the WWF. For Mclaren fans Schumi was for a long time the bad guy. Kimi was the veritable silver angel out to defeat the red devil. Michael's cocky attitude laid the groundwork for an exciting joust and Kimi's mysterious equipment failures never failed to draw out sympathies from his fan base. Jokers like Sato and Mantoya would liven the scene at the back.

How things have changed in a few short months. Bad boy Michael has retired (although still hangs out at the tracks). Kimi has switched horses to Ferrari and brought along his bad luck with him. Alonso the nerd is being trounced by his teammate Hamilton, also a nice guy who never ceases to smile. Massa, yet another nice diplomatic guy, is always in the top 3.

Aaarggh, the nerds have taken over the front line. No more attitude. No more villains to hiss at. Everyone's nice, cordial, cooperative, smiling. Shivers.

Things are getting predictable again albeit the tables being turned. Everyone's now betting on the silver car, the one with Hamilton in it. Kimi is sliding backwards to become just another driver despite sitting in a throroughbred. I found myself sitting happily at the mamak stall last Sunday when I should be watching the flag-off in Monaco and worse, I didn't feel any remorse.

Frankly I don't know which team to support any more. My favorite underdog is now running away with the trophies and the team I disliked is now the underdog. And the interesting characters like DC are now stuck in the middle of the field and definitely not adding to the excitement.

I have nothing against nerds. I just hate boring races where there are no more bad guys to beat.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

guess u shud switch to Ferrari!! haha..

but im supporting Hamilton too!! First black dude in F1 i think.. go man!!

Bryan said...

Yeah ferrari the new underdog! But with Kimi always breaking the cars, will they stay underdog for years :)