Monday, May 21, 2007

Some random thoughts

At the midnight tai pai thong (big row of hawkers) the other night, a friend - one of the very few who knows I blog - asked me why do I continue blogging when hardly anyone bothers to leave comments. He also noticed that I have no ads. No adsense. No nuffnang. No paid reviews. So why waste my time?

This is probably a good place for me to say why I blog. I blog because I want to keep a diary. The main audience is me. I enjoy writing stuff down and revisiting it a few years later so I could laugh my head off. I'd keep a physical diary if I didn't always lose stuff like I do. A blog, now that's a lot harder to misplace.

But the biggest reason why I blog is a practical one. I blog because I think a lot better when I write. It started in school when I noticed that everytime I have a tough problem to crack, I would reach for a pen and paper and start drawing or scribbling away. Somehow, a solution will always find its way on that piece of paper. It only dawned on me much later that writing helps me break down a puzzle mentally into its smallest details. You could say its like meditation.

Do I blog for fame. On the contrary I place a high value in NOT being a celebrity. I wrote about why previously. Having visitors to this site is nice but having none is perfectly alright too since it was set out to be just a diary.

I place a link in PPS because I know that good ideas don't develop in isolation. It helps to know what other people think about what you write. But just as there's no such thing as perfect senses, there's no such thing as perfect perspectives, mine included. But that's cool. To live in a world where there's only one opinion would be a nightmare don't you think.

There is no right or wrong reason to blog. Oklah, maybe there's one. To blog as a means to settle scores with someone is where I draw the line. I believe in karma, online and offline.

People have their own reasons to blog and whether its for fame or personal image, hey go for it. Everyone should have a fair shot to be what they want to be, so long as no humans or animals are purposely hurt in the process.

That's my 2 cents worth about blogging.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

u wrote even if no one reads. That comment doesn't hold water. I read so the quantity no one as in zero is no longer viable :) Keep on blogging, buddy!

Anonymous said...

Everyone have their reasons. To me, it's like having another conversation with myself apart from the ones in my head....

Bryan said...

Hi beng2, long time no see. I used to have diaries that no one ever reads and truth be told, I did have a blog last year which I never linked to any blogtal. It was a diary like this one with about 100 entries that nobody knew about, not even my best friends. I dropped it after my traveling got in the way. Thanks for the encouragement friend :D

Hi Kay, yeah I know what u mean. Everydoes does self talk. Some go a step further and write it down.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for dropping by my blog. It holds true for me too, when I write I tend to think clearly. It's like jotting down your thoughts and reviewing them.

There's an old adage I believe, "if you build, they will come", if you keep writing good stuffs, somehow or rather people will get to know. Keep up the writing. I enjoyed reading some of your writings.

Bryan said...

Hi Kathiroly, yeah I do enjoy reading original material like yours, not the cut and paste stuff that's so common nowadays.

Anonymous said...

i like yr post about gender stereotyping.

Bryan said...

Hi Beng2, thanks man :-)