Monday, May 14, 2007

Hard choices

I bet everyone can name examples where money is power but not everyone can quote when money is NOT power. I mean the power to zap away problems. So let me quote a few.

When a kidnapper takes your loved ones. When you're robbed. When you're ripped off into paying more just because you look rich. When people say unkind words to you because they wanted more. When your gf or bf leaves you because of money. When the tax department comes after you.

Poor people have poor people problems and rich people have rich people problems. In reality the size of your wallet has nothing to do with your ability to attract problems. Its funny how we're conditioned to believe that money can make our problems disappear 'cause it doesn't.

I'm not pro or anti money. I don't dispute its necessity. I just want to recognize money for what it is - as merely the means to an end but not an end in itself. Yes I need it to survive but I won't sacrifice my sanity for it.

Why am I rambling about money? Because the day will soon come when I have to choose between managing a family fortune (or misfortune depending on how you look at it) and letting it go to my brother.

Yeah its always nice to have a business that gives you more money than you can use but when it comes to money I am cautious. I've seen how relatives flock to my father and seen the pain in his eyes when he deals with the insincere. I've seen the bitterness between associates, the anxious periods during tax audits, bodyguards, fear of extortionists, frivolous legal claims, things that latch themselves to money. These things don't give me the freedoms that I want

I'm no monk either and Shirley my gf might disagree with me on this but my ideal is to live as an average guy, drive an average car and wear average clothes but having enough in the bank to not have to worry about bills. I like being down to earth and being with down to earth people. Country club memberships and the stuffy folk that come with it's not my cup of tea. Neither are my BMW-driving cousins who's always competing against each other on who's got the most platinum cards.

Hmmm... the power to make people run at my beck and call or the power to be free from pretentiousness and groveling. Tough choice.

I dunno know about you but its kinda nice to not have to worry about such things.

No comments: