Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Child disciplining: Are there limits?

This post is a little awkward for me as I'm not a parent but I recently saw a couple of sights that nauseated me.

First, a mother of 3 who makes it an almost daily affair to simultaneously beat all her children aged 1-5. The weapon is a plastic clothes hanger. The whippings can be heard a couple of houses away and if you could turn off the screams, the sound of the hanger's impact with the body is enough to tell you she's using all her strength to inflict pain. And not only that. Every episode is accompanied by a series of loud thuds. I imagine either the kids would fall or worse, they may be purposely flung against the wall as part of the punishment. I'll say again, the kids are 1-5 years old and the episodes occur almost daily.

The second one was at a chinese restaurant. A female kid, also about 5 years, was having a tense moment with her mother. Crying loudly, the kid sat at the far end of the table to sulk. Suddenly the mother chased her around the table whacking her with a plate with all her might. This was right in the middle of a packed restaurant. The child screamed trying to ward off the blow with her tiny hands but the mother continued to beat her face with the plate. I swear when the mum paused to lean on a chair, I thought she was going to pick it up and smash it (the chair) against her child. She looked mad enough. Fortunately one of the patrons, a mid-aged father of two, stepped in using kind and calm words to separate the two.

All I can ask about the violence is, why?

I say violence because its not the same as disciplining. As a kid I've received my share of spanking which I'm sure I deserved but never to this degree.

What drives a mother to hurt the people she's supposed to love the most? What do you suppose the kids will grow up into?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

man.. i'd like to whack some sense into the lady..

Bonnie said...

I feel child discipline is necessary, but parents do miss the whole point of discipline. Usually anger and frustrations cloud their intentions to educate the child. Being in an asian country, I find it very sad that witnesses do not intervene simply bcoz "it's other ppl's family business."

Bryan said...

nazlihaffiz: yeah maybe she needs some jolting herself.

bonnie: some parents are not qualified to be parents but become so by "accident". If they can't manage their own emotions, what makes them think they can manage that little bundle of energy.